• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 celtic

celtic
  • Ultra Supporters
  • 968 posts
  • Favorite Band:Guns N' Roses

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

I use a HP 845C Deskjet Printer and lately I've noticed when I print off some covers etc. especially when the colour is light/Plain, that there are lines running across the image/cover. I've tried changing the ink cartridges and it is still the same. Any idea's??
Posted Image
Nice Boys Dont Play Rock N' Roll

#2 Kathlib the Prophet

Kathlib the Prophet

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Staff
  • 3,530 posts
  • Favorite Band:Metallica

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

Which covers? The Black Crowes ones?

#3 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

Oh sorry Matt, I wanted to check that issue at work, with the laser printer... I will get back to you tomorrow about it.

And yes, Spawn, he is referring to the Black Crowes ones...

#4 Kathlib the Prophet

Kathlib the Prophet

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Staff
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

Well there are two possible things that are the problem, and it's likely it will be different depending upon the quality of the printer you have.

The first is that there are low opacity images on each part of the cover and that may be what you're seeing (a hook on the front cover, for example, behind the logo, and a crow on the disc stomp and back cover).

The second is that since gradients are used, the gradient might not be printed as a perfectly smooth transition from one color to the other depending upon your printer. My Epson Stylus printer, for example, doesn't show any lines, but on my Cannon there are horizontal lines going down the cover as the gradient goes from one color to another, however, it's not very noticeable so I didn't worry about it. How well the gradient is printed depends on your printer and its ink cartridges. However, if this is your problem, it's funny you didn't experience circular lines from the gradients used on those GNR 2006 covers, since they used gradients very heavily as well. I'll try to avoid using plain gradients from now on. That problem can be avoided if a texture or pattern is used in addition to a gradient (as in the GNR '06 covers, that may be why you didn't see any lines on them).

#5 celtic

celtic
  • Ultra Supporters
  • 968 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

Its the Black Crowes covers alright, Spawn. The lines stand out a bit more on the cd labels for some reason. As you say they are barely noticeable on the front/Back cover etc. The O6 GNR covers were all fine. I was not sure if it was my printer or the ink??
Posted Image

#6 Kathlib the Prophet

Kathlib the Prophet

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Staff
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Its the Black Crowes covers alright, Spawn. The lines stand out a bit more on the cd labels for some reason. As you say they are barely noticeable on the front/Back cover etc. The O6 GNR covers were all fine. I was not sure if it was my printer or the ink??

Are they horizontal lines going down the cover or shapes in the background, because the shapes were meant to be there and you should be able to see what they are (crow on the back cover and disc label, hook on the front)?

#7 celtic

celtic
  • Ultra Supporters
  • 968 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

The lines go down the cover, but are more obivous on the crows on the back cover and inside the booklet and the lines are across the cd labels.
Posted Image

#8 Kathlib the Prophet

Kathlib the Prophet

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Staff
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:37 PM

Okay. That can be fixed by adding a low opacity texture/pattern into the background, future covers will have it.

#9 celtic

celtic
  • Ultra Supporters
  • 968 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

OK! Thanks Spawn.
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Ok, I think this pattern solution will be fine... I tried to print all files on three different laser printers yesterday and I had no lines at all... but that may be down to all of them being high professional pre-press printers that can print colour transitions and all without the slightest glitch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users