• 814 posts
  • Favorite Band:Metallica

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

does anyone knows what Q-connector is?

#32 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

The Q-Connector is basically a piece pf plastic you get on ASUS mainboards to easily connect the onboard and front panel connections...

[attachment=3360:m2n32_qconn.jpg]

#33 damage jackal

damage jackal
  • Staff
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

yeah thats it. so heres the question: on the rear panel i have like 6 connectors (for front/side/rear speakers, line-in devices and a mic one). on the front panel i have 2 USB ports and one connector for headphones and one for mic. but those connectors on front panel doesnt work (must be switched off by defalt) but USBs are working fine. the thing is: can i with Q switch them on? if so, will those on rear panel still work?

#34 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:15 AM

To be honest, I have no clue... but I have the same problem (I got rid of my Mac and am on a Windows machine again), but I am using an Abit mainboard, so no Q Connector... There should be no problem with connecting everything, as the front panel speakers should have different connections on the board, I was just too lazy on my computer yet, as I never use headphones, I have the speakers plugged in on the rear panel.

What mainboard do you have?

#35 damage jackal

damage jackal
  • Staff
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

ASUS P5B (plain no deluxe or something)
I know front panel's connectors are switched off by default, so I went to the store I bought the comp to swtich them on but the guy couldn't do it <_<
I'm like 80% sure that with Q-connector I will be able to connect the front panel, but I'm not sure if the rear panel would work then (I think it should be).

#36 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

Thing is, if connected to the mb correctly without the use of the Q-Connector, the front panel devices should work properly too. The connector was invented to make things easier... you can go without it, but you know what a pain in the ass it sometimes is to connect all the tiny cables to all the tiny connections on a mb... With the Q-Connector you can just stick all the cables into the plastic thingy and apply that one to the mb in one go.

Like I said, I have no ASUS mb, but are there any settings in your bios or whatever to switch the front panel devices off? I know there aren't in mine, so I have to check why those fuckers are not working properly myself.

However, the front and rear panel speakers should be different things, so when connected correctly, all of them should work and you make the settings about what happens to the rear panel speakers once you plug in headphones on the front panel in the soundcard software.

I will open my computer tonight and see what I can do/find out, even though it is a different mainboard :)

#37 damage jackal

damage jackal
  • Staff
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

I don't think i can switch on front panel directly from bios only, i think the cables inside the case arent connected to the mb

Thanks a lot for the help

#38 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

I just finally checked the internals of my computer and I am pretty frustrated... damn Realtek HD audio shit. I definitely need a real soundcard!

The onboard audio is connected correctly to both, the rear and front panel outputs. I managed to get the front panel working, I had to switch off the automatic detection in the Realtek software (how weird is that, only works when disabled :wacko: ), but the bad thing is, I can't make it automatically or even manually switch off the real panel output when something is connected to the front panel. So when using Skype or whatever with a headset, I have the sound from both, the headphones and the external speakers. Right, I could turn off the externals, but that is just as much work as connecting the headset to the rear panel. F*$%!!!!!

#39 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Oh, and when saying I got rid of the Mac and am using a Windows machine again, this is the current config:

Windows XP Professional SP2 on an

Athlon 64 X2 6000+
550W LC-POWER LC6550GP Ultra Power ATX PSU
Abit NF-M2S-V Socket AM2 Mainboard
2048 MB DDRII 800 (2 x 1024 MB)
2*320 GB SATA II (internal)
20x LG GSA-H55L Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW Lightscribe DVD-RW (internal)
18x LG GSA-H44N Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW DVD-RW (internal)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
22 '' wide TFT

Back from when I was still using the laptop, I have those left and I am still using them:
1*500 GB SATA (external)
18x Samsung SE-S184 Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW Lightscribe DVD-RW (external)

Best thing is, since I didn't really use the Mac plattform (I need to many apps that run way smoother in Windows), I got that computer for for way less than the Mac, even though it is a shitload better and faster. When running Windows on the Mac, I had Photoshop CS3 crashing all the frickin' time, whereas on this machine now it didn't crash at all yet. Must be down to the graphics card.

#40 damage jackal

damage jackal
  • Staff
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

550W :wacko:

I could turn off the externals, but that is just as much work as connecting the headset to the rear panel.

cant you mute them thru the sound software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users